Central America 2005

A blog of my Central America experience. Get my RSS feed using awasu or bloglines. You can also register to the google group to get an e-mail for each publication. A syndication of the photos only is also available.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Body Worlds

This one is not for kids. Beware.
Neither eat before you read this.

As many of my stories, this one has also began on the train. Luck has struck me with a beautiful 17 year old girl who was on the phone with... her boyfriend. Anyway, I happened to overhear her telling him about these bodies she saw on the Science Museum. "Interesting", I thought to myself. I know of only one exhibition in the world that shows bodies. And what are the chances of me and "Body Worlds" to be in Chicago exactly on the same time? Well. Luck has its own ways, and so I googled "Body Worlds" to find exactly what I wanted, which was - this. Hurray!
So, I took Mom and Dad to see a bunch of opened up, taken inside-out, real, plasticated body-parts of real (dead) human beings. And this description doesn't even start to describe the feeling of seeing it in real life. It surely was a mistake to get filled up in the museum's restaurant just before the exhibition. A big mistake. I could feel really good how the stomach worked while watching it opened up on display when we got inside. (I warned you this wasn't for kids...). Through the exhibition Gunther von Hagens starts with displays that look educational. For example, "the muscleman" is someone that was taken apart in a very interesting way. You can see the full skeleton of his body, and standing just 2 steps ahead of it, in the same position - his full muscular system. Breath taking. Another example is "the running man". A body of someone in a running position, whose muscles were taken apart and look like they were pealed from his skeleton, but left attached to it (of course, without all his skin getting in the way). Gradually the exhibition become less and less educational, and more and more artistic, as the "swimming woman", "the archer" and the "horseback rider" (with his pealed horse) appear in full size.
I just kept hearing people around me saying "so this is how it looks like", and people start to talk about their implants and their diseases. I got some myths shattered myself. Always thought that my kidneys are much lower, and that nerves aren't that visible. And the small intestine. Oh, the small intestine. Isn't as small as they drawed it in my "Human Body" book from 2nd grade. Fascinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home