Central America 2005

A blog of my Central America experience. Get my RSS feed using awasu or bloglines. You can also register to the google group to get an e-mail for each publication. A syndication of the photos only is also available.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Pregnant, broke, stoned girl getting drunk with a violent boyfriend in Guatemala... Oh my.

Reaching panajachel, we settled John, Kelly (fake name) and Steve (also fake) in a cheap hostel. John and I in one room, Kelly and Steve in the other. The evening was nice, John took me to see a boxing match on a T.V. in a crappy bar, and everything was peaceful. Weird boxing match, though (are they all like that??). Mike Tyson faught an Irish guy, McBride, and just gave up on the 6th round. He later told to the camera that a man should know when to stop, and that he did this anyway just for the money, not in an intention to win. I went to sleep while John, Kelly and Steve went to a pub. The next thing I woke up to were people shouting outside. I told John that these American people are so stupid, and tried getting a sleep anyway. Then we heard the girl screaming 'you hit me in the stomach when you know I'm pregnant???' 'This isn't your child, anyway', and some crying and yelling of the guy, and dirty stuff I can't remember. I still tried to sleep, but John got serious so I put on my shoes and went out to silence the stupid americans. Then I understood these were Kelly and Steve yelling. They were both drunk, and apparently Steve freaked out badly when Kelly told him she was pregnant. They were both locked in the room, and we were afraid to make things worse by getting in. Pondering about it, John offered to call the police, so we started waking up the owners and calling them. Meanwhile we are just hoping something really bad won't happen. A couple of minutes later, that seemed like an eternity, Steve started packing his stuff and going out. (The police never showed up). We made sure Kelly was OK, and John went out to see what's going on with Steve. Steve was devastated. They had a talk, but then Steve decided he wanted to swim in the lake. John was a lifeguard in England, and I heard so many times how 9 people end up drawning each weekend in the summer of Israel, so we both knew what this ment. We couldn't leave him like that. We tried to make him go to sleep, but he was drunk and not so reasonable, so I stayed to keep an eye on him, and John went to see what's going on with Kelly. Steve got into a really creepy psychological mood. He had a really bad harada, and I thought he was becoming suicidal. Meanwhile I found out Kelly takes lots of cocain, he himself is broke and dependant on her not so much money. A lovely couple. So I took him for a walk. (he wasn't violent anymore). Returning to the hostel, we found out John had fallen asleep so hard in the locked room, that I couldn't wake him up. Even an umbrella I throwed at him from a crack in the window didn't wake him up. We had to wait a bit and try again. So I took Steve for another walk. When the market opened at 6:30 we grabbed a bread and some bananas. Steve was getting sobber, so I let him strawl away, and I tried get in the room again. This time I managed to wake John up. I had too much adrenalin, so I couldn't sleep in daylight, though. I went to take a cold shower. It was one of the coldest I ever took. And the water stopped right when I finished to shampoo my head. Luckily the water came back on a minute later, but this was really a chinese torture for a long while. I got on the next boat to San Pedro, met some great guys from Israel, and we went to celebrate Shavuot. I hope Steve and Kelly are more reasonable when they aren't on substances, or else they will just keep getting into trouble... I just had the best time in the next days in San Pedro, leaving this crappy night behind me. Good stories are to come on my next blog.

Signing out,
Eitan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home