Central America 2005

A blog of my Central America experience. Get my RSS feed using awasu or bloglines. You can also register to the google group to get an e-mail for each publication. A syndication of the photos only is also available.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Chichen Itza

It was a regular day trip to one of the ruins here in the Yucatan peninsula. But judging from the amount of busses at the parking lot, it was obvious this place was a bit different... Tens of busses of organized tour companies, with obese people getting out of them, left no place for mistake - I'm getting closer to the american invaded parts of Mexico - Cancun. Of course, the entrance price was higher than any site I've visited so far, even after a student discount. The place itself not that impressive, compared to the amount of broken Ingles guides that sworm the place, and the prices just fit to Americans as well. 100% higher than anywhere else.
So, I was quite surprise to see an American guy haggle. He wanted to buy this mask that I saw they sell in another place for 10 pesos (1US$). The Mexican offered it for 50, the American told him this was too high, and actually offered to pay 10. This is quite rare to see an American offer this low price. They finally settled for 35. But then the American said he doesn't have Euros, only Dollars... So he took out 35US$(!!!) and payed the guy. The seller was sure he was going to get 3.5US$ (35 pesos)... So he nearly swallowed his tounge, but accepted the money :) They both left happy from the good price they got. Oh well...

I'm now at the beach at Playa del Carmen.
Cheers,
Eitan.

2 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eitan,
You are now seeng the glory of the preColombian era. Palenque and Chechin-Itza are places I have dreamed about so many years. I will probably not be able to see them, and I hope you bring some good photos. Do not rush so fast. You are going to finish Central-America in no time. Take care.
Aba.

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eitan!
if you come across this American guy, give him my details, I would like to make business with him.
Gidon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home